Thursday, July 3, 2014

Got a call about your computer? It's a scam.

I woke up one morning with my head buzzing with the workload. And that was over and above, feeding my cat, doing my dishes, laundering the clothes waiting from a long time and babysitting my 5-year old baby.
As if all these tasks were not enough my phone suddenly rang. I was deep in the water mixed with washing detergent, and I felt like swearing when I had to wash (or bathe) to take the call. As I reached my phone, I knew I am late by a second as the call got disconnected.

I stood there waiting, and the phone rang.

I instantly took the call, believing it to be of one of my savior (maybe my maid, or my husband, or my colleague). Alas, it was not.

It was from some tech company, the caller of which tried to tell me that I have a virus in my computer system. Even after the immediate crisis at my end, I couldn’t resist a good laugh. Want to know the reason? Read on.

I have my annual subscription from Click4Support, an online technical support provider. Thanks to them, I rarely have to worry on any issues, be it related to hardware or software. Also, they had warned of various tech support scams that usually hunt innocent PC users. They also told that some of these companies misused their brand name as well, leading to Click4Support scam.

So, coming back to the call, I laughed so loudly (without wanting to do so), the caller from that scamming company hurriedly disconnected it (might be thinking about me as a lunatic!). I had read about such companies; they generally ask for IP address:

·         Asking for your permission to remote access your computer

·         Trying to download malware on your PC in the guise of anti-virus or a product they think would be good for your system

·         Hoping to sell you some kind of maintenance plan / package to cover your security concerns
Well, most of the genuine companies might also appear to do so, but here is a catch: Genuine companies would never call you on their own. If you are caught in any kind of technical mess, how come they know about it? Even if you are facing a problem and somebody called it is sheer coincidence and that too an unfortunate one if you become a victim of scamming tactics.

I was fortunate enough to read Click4Support reviews when I was looking for a company that can help me with my system issues online. And then satisfied by the experience of the other people who experienced their services, I went ahead to seek their services.


You should also do the same, and never get caught in the trap of people reaching out to you telling you that your system is giving you a rough time (even if that is true!). 

Author: R Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment